Design & Engineering of Stabilized Micro Gimbals for the Surveillance Industry
At Ascendant Engineering Solutions, we provide comprehensive engineering and development services for complex products with challenging requirements. We partner with the customer from concept to the full scale production. Our knowledge of industrial design, electrical, mechanical, and software engineering allows us to develop advanced products, and our manufacturing experience ensures the design is able to be reproduced in a full scale manufacturing environment.
AES designed a stabilized 5″ diameter gimbal for a military UAV application that it is offering for the surveillance industry customer. The gimbal is adaptable to a variety of different payload configurations. These include EO (visible), Infrared including uncooled Short Wave, cooled Mid Wave and uncooled Long Wave Infrared (SWIR, MWIR, LWIR), as well as a number of different laser products including eye-safe laser range finder (LFR).
The system includes an off-gimbal Electronics Interface Module (EIM) that contains the following configurable Circuit Card Assemblies (CCAs): Power Module, Interface Module, Target Tracker / Video Processor. The former two are designed to be easily changed to accommodate the particular power and interface characteristics of the intended platform. By having an off-gimbal EIM, the gimbal can be adapted to a number of different platforms without requiring any on-gimbal CCA modifications.
The stabilized 2-axis micro gimbal has on-board precision MEMS gyros containing highly miniaturized electronics with direct drive system and stabilization performance of < 80 µRad (line of site jitter). It has a configurable payload with NTSC and digital video (MPEG/H.264 over Ethernet), and is fully rain and dust proof to withstand the conditions of the surveillance environment. The gimbal is used in the defense, surveillance, law enforcement, and film industries. For more information about this project, see the table below, or contact us directly.
Engineering & Development Project Highlights
||Stabilized Micro Gimbals - AES Gimbal 5″ Gimbal
||This product is used as a video capture device during surveillance.
||AES 5″ Gimbal Product Details
- 7.5″ Tall, 5″ Diameter, < 5 lbs including EIM
- 2-axis gyro stabilization, < 80 µrad RMS
- Pointing accuracy to 0.05°
- Slew Rate: 200°/sec both axes
- Acceleration 500°/sec2 both axes
- Power: 15W+ depending on payload(s)
- Full HD 1080p (adjustable for different camera payloads)
- Ethernet H.264 encoded video and/or NTSC
- Dust/splash resistant
- 24 V DC input
|In Process Testing/Inspection Performed
||Prototypes, Technical Data Set, Mfg. Package, Owner′s Manual
- Testing performed on Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) to collect all data needed to determine the product development requirements - primarily the motion, vibration, etc. of the UAS that the eventual gimbal will need to be able to counter.
- Structural analysis during mechanical design specific to intended application which includes high levels of shock and vibration.
- Testing analysis and post-development to ensure product is environmentally sealed, thermally efficient, & structurally sound to product specification.
|Industry for Use
- Law Enforcement
- Film Industries
- Stabilized Image/Video Capture
Back to top